Here are some easy instructions on how to set up MyFitnessPal for a low carb way of eating (diet).
1. Create an account at MyFitnessPal.com
2. Now you need to to set up your “macros”.
- Login to your MyFitnessPal account
- Go to Home / Goals
- In the Daily Nutrition Goals section click the Edit button
- Change the following Fat 70%, Protein 25% and Carbs 5% and click Save Changes button
- Set calories to whatever – I ignore calories 🙂
3. You also need to add Fiber as a column to track so the script can calculate Net Carbs for you
- Go to Food / Settings
- Add Fiber to your list of nutrients to track. Make sure you at least have carbs, fiber, fat and protein selected. These are what you need to track for a low carb or ketogenic diet.
4. Download this addon that will calculate the net carb in the browser
5. After installing the plugin in the browser, click here to install it the Grease Monkey script that will do the calculating.
NOTE: MyFitnessPal is set up for low fat / low calorie diets, which is why we need to use the “keto hack” above to be able to track net carbs. No matter what, you only want to eat 20 net carbs a day max instead of whatever MyFitnessPal might suggest. I pretty much ignore calories and other items, and use it to track my fat, protein, net carbs, water and excercise. It’s great for keeping yourself on track. It is easy to eat too much or too little and sometimes we need to tweak things. Tracking your macros really helps to make sure you get to enjoy the health benefits of ketosis along with burning fat.
If this helps you and/or inspires you please let me know. I would love to hear from you and love to help you get healthy, lose weight and just feel better!